I came into this semester not quite knowing
what to expect. This was a whole new programme I was learning and a completely
foreign language to go with it. I was interested to know how it all worked but
didn’t believe I would be able to code a working site.
I chose to focus my site on the interior
design architecture magazine ‘Inside’. The magazine is clean and sharp and
shows off the showcased designs. The website however didn’t present the same
idea. It was quite cluttered and dark and the image were lost in the content.
My challenge was to create an accessible,
desirable website that projected a similar feel to the printed document, while
harnessing digital opportunities.
I decided to design a simple 3-column
layout with a fixed navigation bar on the left. The content would run down the
right with the ability to browse features in chronological order. When choosing
the five pages to create I looked at the existing website and chose the pages
that could be improved. They were also pages that when clicked through would demonstrate
the functionality of the site. I
designed the Home Page, the News section, the Magazine section, an article and
the contact page.
HOME PAGE:
The
home page is the first thing that people see when they enter the site.
It introduces the brand, the content and the visual language. I chose to
use a fixed navigation bar on the left, so the viewer could constantly
see the header and wouldn't have to scroll to the top of the page after
browsing, to click on different links. The featured sponsor sits in the left column, and is maintained across the other pages, changing monthly dependant on the issue.
I
used a jquery plug in to act as a teaser for the content of the most
recent issue of the magazine. The items showcased in the right column
are the top viewed from each section.
NEWS:
The
news section is set out in a blog format with the opportunity to search
through tags, dates and articles. It presents the latest news in the
interior design and architecture world, such as awards, proposals and
exhibitions.
It is laid out in a similar style as the home page, in order to maintain visual coherence.
MAGAZINE:
The
magazine section shows articles and images from the most recent, and
past publications. It allows you to click on selected articles to view
in a digital format.
ARTICLE:
The article page shows the layout of an article that you would see if you clicked on any of the links in the right column. It presents all the information at the top, showing the title, author, date and a brief introduction. The text is displayed below with image supplementing the information.
At the end of the article the user is given the opportunity to share the article.
CONTACT:
The contact page was quite overwhelming on the original site, as it included the contact details for everyone involved in the publication, showing their numbers and emails, It was not clear who to contact for general queries. I created a comment form for people to submit, and showed only a few contacts with clear headers, so the user would know what department to contact and who to talk to.
This process has been tough and stressful but also extremely rewarding. It has taught me so much and showed me that not everything is as intimidating as it seems. I believe I fulfilled my challenge, creating a simple, clean website that s easy to navigate and shows off the images and designs of the featured material.





No comments:
Post a Comment